[OpenTRV-dev] Introduction

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon Apr 1 08:48:36 BST 2013

Hi Guys,

I've just joined the group and thought I'd better introduce myself...

The following text which I sent to Damon probably covers that:

The reason for my contacting you is that I've recently been looking for
a way to better control my central heating system; specifically, I was
looking for a way to add zones without extra plumbing, and controlling
the existing TRVs more intelligently seemed the obvious way of achieving
this. Nothing commercially available really provides a complete
solution, so I was considering developing something to control the
valves wirelessly.

Having read a little about your project it appears to address exactly
what I would like to achieve myself, and, rather than re-invent the
wheel, I thought I'd introduce myself and see if there's anything I can
contribute.

Electronics and computing has been a hobby for me for as long as I can
remember. I've held an amateur radio licence since the age of 17 and
graduated from Essex university with a B.Eng in electronics in 1992.
Since then, I've been working as a software developer for the mobile
communications test and measurement industry in various areas from
embedded systems implementing soft radios and protocol stacks to windows
applications in C++ and C#.

Electronics continues to be a hobby out of work hours and I've recent
experience of playing with PIC and AVR based systems and the Raspberry Pi.

Most recent projects are an AVR-based temperature controller for my home
brewery and a combined DAC and preamp for my Hi-Fi, also controlled by
an AVR.

Cheers,

Kevin Wood