[OpenTRV-dev] Scope of the project

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Apr 2 19:04:55 BST 2013

Hi,

All good questions!

My overriding primary aim is to try to make it easy and cheap and pleasant for everyone to save carbon emissions from heating: I think most people in the UK could halve theirs without hardship, and the UK has crappy housing stock and will for many years to come.

I think that open protocols (and software and hardware) will bring costs down and enable mix-n-match in the way I expect to be able to buy headphones from anyone that work when plugged into the stereo jack of anyone's laptop or MP3 player.

I also expect OpenTRV to make available combinations that are not currently available, including bridges into energy monitoring and HA.

I'm after a system which is less hassle and more efficient than what I (and many others) currently have, and maybe has a touch of Star Trek (TM) about it.

The reference implementations don't have to be the absolute best or cheapest, and they can have closed components as long as those components (such as the PICAXE BASIC interpreter) are not somehow fundamental to the entire chain from valve pin to boiler and have ready substitutes (eg that's why I'd like a parallel Arduino stack).

No, we're not building anything entirely new, but we're building something more open, more fun, more flexible, and ultimately cheaper and widely useable by more of the 26 million UK households (and Bo in Denmark!) that need to radically cut their carbon footprint.

Well, that's what I hope.