[OpenTRV-dev] V0.2-Arduino: getting started

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu Apr 4 14:24:35 BST 2013

Another item on my boiler control wish-list, which I forgot to mention :
 ;-)

(and this is straying a bit from TRVs but important for monitoring)

In addition to switching the zone valves and boiler I'd like to monitor
boiler current draw. The reason for this is that I'd like to keep track of
gas consumption, and, since my boiler doesn't modulate, I can do this from
the airing cupboard by monitoring its' current draw. If it's firing, the
fan, gas valves and control circuitry are drawing mains power, and rate of
gas consumption should be pretty much constant (once the main burner has
lit). If it's not firing (i.e. boiler thermostat satisfied) the mains
input is essentially disconnected by the thermostat.

Looping the boiler supply through a current transformer with amplifier and
rectifier following it should give me a nice DC voltage which I can
compare against a threshold to decide its' state.

Kevin