[OpenTRV-dev] OT: Voltage drops

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Jun 11 14:02:02 BST 2013

Indeed. Looking at the openenergy design, it's the current monitoring side
that would be the largest source of error due to the fact that it lacks
resolution, especially at low power levels. A couple of current ranges
rather than trying to do 0-100A in one range would help there (I think
someone's proposed a design to do just that somewhere).

Measuring mains voltage through an off-the-shelf step-down transformer
with a purely resistive load takes us back into the comfort zone of most
constructors as far as safety goes and I can't believe it introduces much
of an error if calibrated. Maybe a bit of phase shift and flattening of
the top of the waveform if the transformer is a bit close to saturation?..
Not sure. Will have to have a play with that.

Kevin