[OpenTRV-dev] Aiming for a proper controlled trial this winter

Bo Herrmannsen EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sun Jun 30 14:13:12 BST 2013

this one again landed in the spam folder....

anyway:

> 1) What is aim of trial?
>
> Aim is to see if OpenTRV does better than normal TRV in energy saving and/or
> comfort.

My first thought would be how do we messure energy used? gas meter ??

> Aim is to see how acceptable OpenTRV behaviour is, without minimal controls
> (WARM/FROST modes, optional BAKE and LEARN and "SMART" behaviours) and
> default or adjusted temperature settings.

unsure here.. you want to trial it without any control from the user?

> 2) Restrictions on candidates by house and heating type etc.
>
> Must be radiator-heated with 2-wire thermostat control or equivalent and
> TRVs already fitted in all rooms under study.

I would say we can include those who are also willing to fit
valveheads like those from conrad etc...??

> Can/should we include existing SuperHomes along with 'normal' humans?

Why not? :-D

> Is this robust enough for (say) kids running around?

I would say maybe... i would mount this in chest hight anyway.

> 3) How many of these systems can we build and install and what should the
> sample size be?

I think it depends on how brave we are... i plan to buy a stencil for
the next round of boards i need here. so i could easy batch produce
them in batches of say 10 a day (maybe more). also looked for a
toaster oven that should do the trick

> 4) What will our control be?

 hmmm... if there are houses that we can compare with ????

/bo