[OpenTRV-dev] RF protocol

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Mar 20 10:54:40 GMT 2013

On 20 Mar 2013, at 10:36, Mike Stirling wrote:

> Thoughts?

Sounds good.

I just want to repeat my assertion that there won't be a one-fits-all solution.

For example, for some careful division of responsibilities, neither authentication nor encryption would be necessary to avoid pranking or worse (eg in the preferred scenario for my own house with fairly autonomous TRVs that just call for heat centrally: at worst someone could get my boiler to run at a very low level in winter with very little impact).

In some cases auth or auth+enc would be needed, eg in crowded tower blocks full of bored teenagers to avoid remote pranking (preventing turning all rads off remotely: auth) and wardriving burglars being able to deduce that the occupants of a gated manor are on holiday (enc).

So whatever we do it should be possible to engage the appropriate level of auth/enc that fits the module division/comms, hostility of the local radio environment, and user comfort level.

(Also, I see no hope of (say) PICAXE managing any significant auth/enc.)