[OpenTRV-dev] Feedback Mechanisms.

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Fri Mar 22 17:10:29 GMT 2013

Hi,

Utterly agreed on at least some degree of local control being important for acceptance.

I like the detailed display on my i30 and share Jack's frustration about not being told current temperatures, only things that I already programmed in, etc.  On the other hand I was listening to the wide agreement at the DECC workshop that temperature is not necessarily the right thing to fixate on since human's aren't that precise as thermometers.  MacKay's contention that a "I'm too cold" button and no temperature display might be better is an idea I'm trying out with the current system, in part.

What I don't want in any unit that I use (so note, I'm not saying that this is wrong in general, just for my own purposes and having taken into account discussions at DECC, and with my family, and for my house!) is a UI so complex that it remains untouched like the 00:00 of horrific VCRs or that needs a long perusal of the manual which will not be to hand at the right moment.

I also happen to favour having most of the smarts in the TRV for control and security reasons (less to 'prank' over the air for example, and less information leakage too).  Again, this is just me and just one deployment.

So with my current efforts I'm seeing what I can achieve with a button or two and a(n) LED or two, with the option to plug into a laptop for smarter setup of schedules and so on.

Note that even my minimal current implementation does meet some of Jack's requirements, and I will stretch it enough for Bo to control his DHW on a schedule with it too.  (And my kids' bedrooms to get warmed up before they go to bed!)  I am trying to do this without excessive contortions!

So I think that we really should start writing up some use cases and showing where the smarts and the UIs are, wire-frames for the units and functional splits, etc, etc.

If we get this right we'll have a wonderfully flexible system (without over-generalising and having hundred-button handsets) and a Pentium *providing* the heat in every TRV!

Rgds

Damoin