[OpenTRV-dev] Hardware licence: Solderpad vs Apache

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Mar 27 19:23:37 GMT 2013

Hi,

Mike pointed out that the Apache 2.0 licence that is currently applied to all OpenTRV stuff is probably a little wonky for hardware designs since, well, it's focussed on software issues such as copyright.

After a little research I suggest that we (re)license the 'hardware' element under the Solderpad licence:

http://solderpad.org/licenses/SHL-0.51/

which is completely compatible with (ie relicensable with) Apache 2.0 even though not itself OSI approved.

1) Does anyone object (especially Bo and Mike who currently have some stuff in OpenTRV currently under Apache 2.0)?

2) Which bits should this apply to?  Just schematics and board layouts and maybe mechanicals/3D components?  Everything?

3) Should I apply this to (V0.09) stuff that already exists or just new stuff?