[OpenTRV-dev] Wireless boiler control

Mike Stirling EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue May 14 09:03:52 BST 2013

Hi All,

Just in case anyone else is thinking along the same lines, I can now control my boiler by emulating my off-the-shelf wireless thermostat. The 'stat communicates on 434 MHz, but the 868 MHz RFM23 works well enough down there to get a signal out (the main issue is that the rx becomes unusably noisy).

I am not going to publish details of this hack because I do not wish to reduce its woefully inadequate level of security any further! However, if anyone else is hoping to do something similar then feel free to contact me in private.

Further down the line I expect I will build a custom boiler switch to avoid having to support multiple RF protocols, and possibly to include eBUS and OpenTherm ports.

Mike