[OpenTRV-dev] 3D OpenTRV case design

Bo Herrmannsen EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sat Oct 12 16:34:21 BST 2013

let me read this one carefull and comment

will prop just inject comments with >>>>> before my comment

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
From: Damon Hart-Davis
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:23 PM
To: Closed list for developer discussions
Cc: Damon Hart-Davis
Subject: 3D OpenTRV case design

Hi,

Bruno came round today and we worked on the case design: initially something
for DD1 given that I want to have some eye-candy this coming Friday for the
Dynamic Demand Challenge Hackathon, but actually to think about a
standardised OpenTRV design.

Given the work that Bo has done to make the OpenTRV REV1 board match the
footprint of the DD1 board, the aim is that what we have done today should
cover a whole family of OpenTRV (and DD1) boards with a standardised base
and lid and only a collar above and below the board needing adjustment for
each board revision for positioning of connector cutouts and so on.

Basic layered design from top might be:

1) Lid with holes for buttons, sensors, etc.
2) Spacer collar (~3cm).
3) Thin upper collar for cutouts above the PCB.
4) Base and under-collar for cutouts below the PCB.  Includes screw slots
for wall mounting if desired.  This could be two layers.

Collars/cutouts can be selected by board revision, eg V0.2-REV1 would flick
various switches to customise the basic design in OpenSCAD and then the STL
goes to the 3D printing process as usual.

(I think that much of this should be immediately convertible to
injection-moulding were we to want to go beyond a run of say 100, eg top two
layers as one half and bottom two as the other.)

I'll post a link when I've put up the STL, SCAD and some photos; just
letting the spacer collar print run at the moment...

Also, given constraints of our thinking and printing time, etc, I propose
that we have this housing enclose only the OpenTRV (/DD1) board itself, with
separate battery packs for the first run, on flying leads, and containment
for the SSR for boiler control units.  Bruno suggests that we could make
these mechanically mate in some way, though be separate items.

Possibly Bo could do the SSR containment boxes separately via his mechanism
and send them to me: we'll only need a small number and it would be good to
make use of the time he has already put in on that side.