[OpenTRV-dev] box..

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sun Oct 13 12:15:27 BST 2013

On 13 Oct 2013, at 00:57, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:

> the box i hacked together from another thing on thingiverse can be found here:
>
> http://www.thingiverse.com/apps/customizer/run?thing_id=164778&code=26205aa7d2a70d00d0700dcdee3b5c56
>
> the parameters can be hidden, ie if say i want the case to be a set thickness i can just hide the setting and it will use the default value
>

> maybe this can be used for our case also? you dont have to be registered to to download the scad file... but you need to if you want to tweak and save it as a “thing”
>

> maybe it could be used for those users who have a 3d printer and want to print themselfes and not us?
>

> /bo

Hi Bo,

(I have copied this to the list.)

Very good point there at the end: we should keep our case designs usable by ordinary hackers/makers as much as our code and schematics and PCBs, which supports your general sentiment.

Also, as a side point, and to get people started more easily, it means we should carefully select and check in commonly-useful versions of the (generated) STL as well as any up stream source for it in the same way that we check in the Gerbers for the PCBs.  Though saving generated intermediate files is generally considered poor form, for particular common and useful intermediates that speed up bootstrapping a system (or checking that generation of them is going to plane), I think we should do it.