[OpenTRV-dev] Telegraph article today "Smart thermostat that could shave a fifth off heating bills"

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Apr 2 19:24:40 BST 2014

Hi,

On 2 Apr 2014, at 18:25, stuart <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> I have been lurking on your list for a time now, seeing how things developed, but not got involved.  If you want another test site then you might consider my place.

Thank you, I’ll note you as a volunteer for another time!

> However, the point of the post is to mention the "Nest Learning Thermostat" which is mentioned in today's paper, in case you have missed it.  This was invented by the guy that designed the ipod. Its USP seems to be to assess the property's thermal inertia and then adjust the heating-on time to allow for it.  They are about to be acquired by Google, apparently.  Cheap at £179!  Like most other heating gadgets they claim 20%, experienced by USA users.
>
> Does your software measure warm-up/cool-down rates?

Not currently, though (a) it could and (b) it takes some other appropaches currently to achieve a similar outcome.

Also OpenTRV is not trying to estimate behaviour of every room from *one point in the house*!  B^|>