[OpenTRV-dev] hello fellow rad devs!

Gareth Coleman EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Jul 2 14:58:12 BST 2014

I've just started hacking at the v2 board Damon was kind enough to send me.

My immediate goal is to try to understand the differences between the RFM23
and the RMF12B's I've been playing with recently.

Then I want to try to understand the protocol a bit better and how the
system was designed to work.

My end goal is to have actuators on the boiler and each radiator, a
temperature sensor in most rooms, and a control system that is (or at least
appears to be) a single interface.

I can see that my use case is a bit different from the main project goals,
in that I'd rather have a web/smart device as an interface over physical
controls. I can see why that's good for some people but for me it's a real
pain to have to go round the house twiddling knobs to affect the heating!!!

I really believe it's all about the interface. If the interface isn't very
very good - and this is a non-trivial problem - harder than building the
physical device for example - then people won't use it effectively and
therefore will miss out on energy savings.

I've had a close look at the (daunting!) todo list at
http://www.earth.org.uk/open-source-programmable-thermostatic-radiator-valve.html#planOE2014
- and it's not immediately obvious how I can help! Is there anything that I
could usefully be doing for the project?

Kind regards

Gareth

--
Gareth Coleman