[OpenTRV-dev] OT: Charge battery

Bo Herrmannsen EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu May 15 10:02:59 BST 2014

Me thinking the same here...

i want to both charge and then discharge battery's

But i have mixed battery's... SLA for the starter on the lawn mower... same
in the car... NIMH in the cordless drill...

I have a nice old car charger than can deliver up to 17 amps i think.. plan
was to rip the trafo from that an use as a PSU... only downside is that is
that it will not charge the nimh cells in the cordless drill as they are
14.4V

are the reason for the buck converter that it can adjust the voltage above
the input voltage from the PSU ?

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
From: Kevin Wood
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:25 AM
To: Closed list for developer discussions
Subject: Re: [OpenTRV-dev] OT: Charge battery

The AVR has analogue inputs monitoring both voltage across and current
through the battery. It can control the buck converter via a PWM output to
achieve any charging strategy, be that constant voltage, constant current
or a hybrid of the two where it sits in constant current until a certain
voltage then switches to constant voltage.

I'm actually thinking about a project along the same lines at the moment,
hence that AN was fresh in my mind.

I fly gliders and we use 12V 7AH sealed lead-acid batteries to power the
electronics in flight. I'm thinking about a device to discharge these,
counting Ah consumed, to determine if their usable capacity has degraded.

Best Regards

Kevin