[OpenTRV-dev] Residual Receive Strangeness

Gary Gladman gary at gladman.name
Sun Jul 12 12:58:08 BST 2015

That is not so simple.

I have looked into the problem a bit further and I had a version of the
code that had ZERO !RXerr F2 but plenty of !RXerr F5.

As I understand the F2 issue at the moment it is a tension between RX
FIFO almost full mark and the rate at which PollIO is called. As I
increase the poll rate by various means the F2's disappear i.e. the RX
terminates sooner and the FIFO overfills less and thus no longer loops
around and corrupts the front of the FIFO (!?). Clearly this approach
has power implications.

The F5 issue seems to be partially related to the RX FIFO almost full
mark which if I understand correctly does not strictly account for JSON
status receptions. As the poll rate increases less of the JSON TX is
received and thus its tail is increasingly truncated resulting in
increasing F5's. Simply increasing the RX FIFO almost full mark seems to
recreate the F2 issues which requires an increase in the poll rate.

However, as the TX get larger there comes a point at which some other
strangeness kicks in and the transmissions seem incomplete for another
reason as yet unidentified.

There is no simple answer - you might consider increasing the high water
mark, accounting for and reducing the max size of JSON stats and
increase the poll rate to prevent RX overflow. However, as the high
water mark increases less headroom is left leaving less time available
to terminate the RX. This is likely to involve a lot of trial and error.

Ultimately, the RX FIFO cannot be allowed to overflow by staying in
receive too long once a preamble and sync has been seen as the FIFO
(over) fills (and corrupts) until RX mode is exited it seems.

RX Polling may simply be the wrong approach.

Regards Gary