[OpenTRV-dev] OT: GSM remote control in car

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Mar 3 16:27:54 GMT 2015

I would check how you're deriving the supply voltage for the module. I
think the SIM900 module itself only needs 3.3 / 3.8 V but the current is
up to 2A peak when transmitting. Mine includes a regulator on the shield
that drops this from a nominal 5V supply input.

I'd be very surprised if your battery voltage is dropping low enough that
an LDO regulator wouldn't be able to supply the module from 12V, but I
suspect you might be regulating down to 5V, then down to 3.8, etc. and
losing a bit of headroom with each step, which might cause you a problem.

Dropping 12V to 3.8 at 2A might be a tall order for the regulator without
better heatsinking, but I wouldn't mind betting the average current is
quite low, given that the module won't work in every GSM timeslot, so you
might well get away with it.

Also, the accessory circuits on some cars are disconnected when the key is
in the "III" (cranking) position, so it might be simply that you are
losing the supply completely.

BTW: Sorry for my absence on here of late. I'll update you with what I've
been doing when I get a chance as it might be interesting.

Kevin