[OpenTRV-dev] 'The' OpenTRV valve body.

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:36:36 BST 2015

Hi Stuart,

Having had a prototype in my hand, I will try to answer some of the
questions but please take my feedback with a pinch of salt, Damon will
correct me if I'm wrong.

Size: cylinder with same diameter at normal mechanical TRV, 1.5 times the
height to house actuator + AA batteries. This design won't work for
everybody but is good as a first reference implementation.

Battery life: don't know but knowing Damon's attention to power
consumption, the idea is that a standard set of AA should last a long time.

Firmware update: TBC by Damon, probably via PC initially. We've been
talking provisioning as part of a Innovate UK project so OTA updates could
be considered in the future.

On board sensors: light, temperature, humidity as a start but you will also
be able to expose other values such as target temperature, % valve open,
etc. We've also been discussing operational info such as battery charge and
any other metric that would allow you to diagnose a problem remotely in
order to minimise maintenance effort.

As noted above, I may have missed things and Damon will correct me if I
have.

Bruno

On Wednesday, 20 May 2015, Stuart Poulton <stuart at poulton.org.uk> wrote:
> Damon,
>
> Are you able to give any more details about the upcoming OpenTRV valve,
for example.

> * Size
> * Expected Battery Life
> * Firmware Update Mechanism
> * On board sensors
>
> Is there any code available that we can get our hands on to look at
operational improvements, and contribute some feedback.