[OpenTRV-dev] Mobile phone detector

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Thu Nov 5 11:50:07 GMT 2015

Hi,

Thanks for that analysis!  Wow!

Key points to note: our initial solution does not have to be perfect nor work at every shelter (nor all of the time).

I would be delighted if we were right on occupancy 50% of the time; combining the outputs of multiple sensors in a sensible way is part of our aim.

We also can in principle record typical sensor output levels over time to set a noise floor or even to disable a sensor entirely if it hears loud continuous chatter from a nearby base station!

We can also choose only to fire up the cellular detector if other sensors are currently drawing a blank, ie we can selectively throw more energy at some sensors dynamically.

***

So, what is the simplest thing that could we do to have a (say) 50% chance of catching an average Londoner’s mobile chatting to the base station, initially ignoring energy consumption?

Could we say have a big rectenna that we put in the seat and is even powered by the energy from the phone itself and drives a GPIO or more?

Next option up we have a nice current sense op amp in our valve motor driver circuit with VERY low quiescent current which can give a decent boost on a voltage from the rectenna without killing us.