[OpenTRV-dev] Blockchain for anti-tamper and non-repudiatiot of valuable IoT data

Damon Hart-Davis damon at opentrv.uk
Wed Sep 23 22:11:57 BST 2015

Hi,

> That's all well and good, but I think it's important that the infrastructure recognises this, and doesn't permit them to extend their own protected infrastructure past our firewalls, and intentionally or unintentionally believe that they have access to uncontrolled data even when it's in the products that they sold to us.
>
> I have a view of how that might exist : I won't describe it here as I realise it's off-topic. But I just wanted to flag that the ability of a data sink to obtain authentication of data is itself a privacy issue and I don't want corporate assumptions to leak into privacy standards.

It might be slightly off the topic of this thread, but it is important and difficult to get understand and get right, and frankly I think that it’s potentially an important differentiator between OpenTRV and (say) Nest: you don’t even have to have an Internet connection, still less hand over data, to save energy with OpenTRV.

At the moment we're trying to make it possible to maintain privacy, and to avoid data fraud in some cases. I think that those are necessary conditions, but certainly not sufficient to get things right as you suggest.