[OpenTRV-dev] AES-GCM protected secure frames implemented

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Tue Jan 12 16:06:13 GMT 2016

There is a mass of detail to sort out yet, such as implementing the non-volatile message counters, but the basic secure (encrypted) frame with authentication is implemented for encrypt and decrypt, and has test cases with test vectors matching a Java reference implementation and some of the NIST test vectors.

Minor updates have been made to the spec in the light of actually implementing it!

Anyone who wishes to inspect and critique and review the implementation in OTRadioLink and OTAESGCM and the spec please do, and I’ll be happy to guide you through it as necessary.  There is always more that could be done, but it has to be robust and reliable as it stands, eg no buffer overflow possible even on maliciously-constructed received frames.

If anyone can support/refute Paul G’s worries that I am misusing the IV (JIRA tracking reference TODO-673), please pipe up, because getting the IV right is vital to the integrity of the system.