[OpenTRV-dev] EU radio band 48

Kevin Wood kevin at the-wood-family.com
Wed Jun 8 12:30:42 BST 2016

I think the issue is that the radio module is a component part of the
product, but the product as a whole needs CE certification.

You can drive an RFM in such a way that it violates the ISM duty cycle
rules, or transmits completely outside the ISM band, for example, leading
to an end product that isn't compliant. Equally, if you take care to
ensure your firmware respects the above under all circumstances in the way
it drives the RFM, your hardware design is sound, and so on, there's no
reason why an RFM module can't form part of a CE compliant product.

It's not just about the RF building blocks. The AVR's clock oscillator
could give you a headache with a radiated or conducted emission, for
example. RF Emissions are only a part of it, too, of course.

I have a friend who runs a company making small production runs of this
sort of product - Zigbee nodes, etc. and has been through the CE
minefield. I can see if he has any pearls of wisdom to share?

On a positive note, great to hear that OpenTRV is moving on to such things
though.

Best Regards

Kevin