[OpenTRV-dev] Help getting serial connection to Radbot

Christoph M. Wintersteiger christoph at winterstiger.at
Sun Feb 14 19:33:20 UTC 2021

Hi Rob,

That’s great, you’ve got very far in a very short amount of time!

It sounds like you’re “holding” the wires on – just solder them on if you have a soldering iron around, it’s easy enough to take them back off after the operation.

I can imagine that there’s a ground potential problem and perhaps one of the devices doesn’t like the 3.0V supply. The Radbot takes very little power and I was able to simply power it from my USB-serial adapter, but that depends on the adapter of course. Alternatively, the RPi also has a 3.3V supply (and 5.0V too) and it has a serial port right next to the supply pins too, so if you have a few breadboard wires around, that would be a simple and quick alternative.

Cheers,

Christoph