[OpenTRV-interest] Arduino M0

Tim Small tim at buttersideup.com
Thu May 14 13:56:35 BST 2015

On 30/04/15 12:25, Damon Hart-Davis wrote:
> May allow us to keep the Arduino environment (with some rejigging of the places where we’ve had to touch ASM), but get to ARM…

Teensy 3.1 is also quite an attractive platform IMO (Cortex M4, and good
support in the Arduino IDE / environment for a while now).  Bare chip is
about £3 for integrating into OpenTRV designs.  Dev boards about £15

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html

BTW, ARM also opens up the possibility of using a more modern language
like Rust too.

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/README.html

+ Resource usage of the same order as C and C++
+ No loose pointers (also lots of other compile time checks)
+ No run-time or JIT (unlike Go, Python etc.)
+ Can call C easily

... hardly done anything with it (yet), but it seems like a really nice
language, and the first practical alternative to C for embedded stuff
which I've seen IMO.

Rust on Atmel-AVR (yet) due to immature LLVM support for AVR - but it'll
probably get there at some point.

Tim.