[OpenTRV-interest] OpenTRV board as 868MHz transceiver

Damon Hart-Davis damon at opentrv.uk
Sun Jan 10 08:33:32 GMT 2016

Hi,

Yes Marko, what we have done for the COHEAT deployment is closer to what Alasdair is after.

Alasdair: I expect my kids to need looking after in a few minutes so picking a couple of points at random (Alasdair, my son has materialised and I haven’t finished reading your email yet!).

1) Controlling more than one FHT8V from a single OpenTRV unit would be very difficult unless the FHT8V units have the same house codes because of the complexity of the timing that would result and the radiio TX timings.  As Marko says the transmitter is basically on every second for a substantial time during sync, and then the sync cycle time depends on the house code.  I have broken the FHT8V logic out into a separate class to make it *possible* to have multiple instances, but I don’t recommend it.

2) Because of security considerations the OpenTRV valve-controller units have been transmit-only up to now, with the glorious exception of the COHEAT variant where they act as dumb-ish relays of the COHEAT-central-control valve open percentage.  Our intention very soon (I am working on the security code right now) is to allow to you to tell each OpenTRV unit what temperature you want to be at, overriding its internal logic.  (It would revert to that internal logic if/while it lost the radio link.)  We could also override a COHEAT-style override of the percentage open for the valve, but then you would have to close the temperature control loop in real time.  Not impossible, but not recommended unless your day job is developing control algorithms (as is COHEAT’s!).  That control loop is tricky and you risk eating up bandwidth and batteries if you keep that loop tight enough; you might even break the legal duty cycle limits for the radio band we’re using!

So, the upshot is that two-way control is on its way, but we don’t want to do it until we can do so securely.