[OpenTRV-interest] Schedule/profile setting (was: OpenTRV board as 868MHz transceiver)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 12:03:05 GMT 2016

Damon Hart-Davis <dhd at exnet.com> wrote:

> Also, most people simply don’t interact with central heating controls though fear or apathy, up into the high-90%s depending on whose numbers/anecdotes you believe.

I can believe that. Given that many people don't understand the concept behind either a time clock or thermostat !

Mind you, some of the controls aren't exactly sensible - our room stat is in the unheated kitchen, right next to the boiler and a draughty back door, and I assume only put there as a token gesture "because the regs need one". So yes, I'm up for a set of 6 valves and boiler interface as soon as you have any you can legally sell !

> However, once we have a secure backlink that we’re happy with, a central unit can override the local algorithm and keep doing so, allowing full central control, eg pre-programmed times and temperatures for the whole house, and better house modelling for better savings, and predictive responses to weather forecasts, for those that want it.

Great.

One other thought has just come to mind ...
Do they differentiate between people and pets for occupancy detection ? The dog and cat have fur coats and warm beds they can snuggle into - so I don't want to pay for gas to keep them warm !
Do they differentiate between "passive" occupancy (such as sat on the sofa watching TV) and "passive" occupancy such as sleeping ? That hasn't been clear from anything I've read about the project.