[OpenTRV-interest] Adaptive comfort (and stuff)

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Wed Jul 13 15:27:44 BST 2016

Hi,

> On 13 Jul 2016, at 15:10, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Damon Hart-Davis <dhd at exnet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Just a thought, for those of us where it isn't too much of a problem, is a hardwired connection feasible ?
>
>> Yes, depending on details of our connector and plastics design.
>>
>> But I think that that is a tiny fraction of the people that we want to reach on this round.  We may be able to accommodate such use cases out-of-band, especially if the radio certfication gets too eye-watering.
>
> I was assuming that such cases would be more in the "hack it yourself but here's some ideas" kind of territory. I doubt it would make commercial sense as the proportion of users going that route will be a) very small and b) mostly techies.

1) We want to actively support the geek faction in all we do where possible, even if TRV2.0 is not primarily aimed at it.

2) We will at least try not to make it unnecessarily difficult to “hack it yourself”.

>> 1) At the moment the radio is one-way.
>
> I didn't realise/had forgotten that

Well, it’s on my list of things to fix but is distinctly non-trivial with our current ISM radios.  It maybe easier with other radios, for example, LoRa has a listen-after-TX mode as standard.  I’ll get Deniz to think about that one too, on his current researches!

>> We have yet to decide what to include in this offering!
>
> I would suggest a "basic working system". I think we can all think of projects that floundered on the rocks of "took too long and tried to add too many bells and whistles". Pack of heads plus a relay unit, pre-paired (optional while you're selling to techies, essential after that), and software with the features you've described.
> Being able to read the data from the system out-of-the-box would be nice - that way us techies who are likely to he the majority of early adopters can start making pretty graphs that our other halves can go "yes dear, very nice" to in that special "I really don't care" tone of voice they have !

You are absolutely preaching to the converted.  MVP, avoiding feature-itis, etc, is the ONLY way we’re going to get this done at all!