[OpenTRV-interest] Adaptive comfort (and stuff)

Marko Cosic marko at coheat.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 19:08:43 BST 2016

Cycles per hour is a hangover from the steam boiler and non
condensing/modulating water boiler era. Modulating boilers to limit heat
input rate and flow temp comp to limit heat output rate is more current
practice.

The smaller boilers are more sensitive to mean water temp for condensing
purposes than return water temp too: less opportunity to build temperature
gradient on the HX compared with commercial scale stuff. Hence weather comp
useful.

I understand that the anti-cycling controls in modern boilers, particularly
some continental ones, do a decent job of cycling control on their own: you
set a constant call for heat and the boiler first gives the (electronic,
with feedback provided on actual flow rate achieved) pump a kick to check
for flow (open TRVs) in the heating circuit; decides no flow = no actual
call for heat and don't bother firing; waits a while depending on (a)
length of previous burn and (b) time since you last checked and/or (c) flow
temperature then tries again.

Better here than with the TRVs as Damon says imo - leave the weather comp
to 'building level' rather than room level.

We have a 7 zone Evohome setup on eBay at the moment by the way - 99p no
reserve - as we finished testing with it and nobody in the company would
have it in their own home: buggy radio, buggy gateway code, and poorly
thought through control logic being the main gripes.