[OpenTRV-interest] getting hands on some valves

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Mon Nov 28 08:26:38 GMT 2016

Hi,

> On 28 Nov 2016, at 05:25, Kairos <kairosmedia at swissmail.org> wrote:
>
> At 20:20 27/11/2016, you wrote:
>> Jason Pearce <jason at pearce.org.uk> wrote: > I would need 7 (unless you no longer need a central thermostat with this solution, in which I would need 8) You want 8 then. The basic idea is that a single thermostat is actually very poor at controlling the system.
>
> I have been following this project for some time and I would like to get hold of one unit for testing. In particular I want to find out:
>
> -- How resilient the TRV is to wifi congestion/outage?

OpenTRV does not use WiFi at all, and does not depend on its radio (or the Internet) for its correct operation.

> -- How reliable are the mechanical components.

That’s an interesting question: what metric had you in mind?

> -- How easy to integrate into a custom control system (say one based on an RPi).

We haven’t written the back-channel yet but it’s on our list to do Real Soon Now.  You could even help us get it done.

> -- What exactly "open" in "OpenTRV" means..

Open source hardware and software so you can’t be locked in, see our repos:

https://github.com/opentrv/

We will keep some specific stuff under our hat done for specific clients or that we need to to protect some business revenue, but the plan is always to have as much as possible open.

> I'll be happy to pay for one, and will naturally submit any findings to whomever for their development work..
>
> It isn't clear to me whether simply sending this email constitutes a resuest for a unit, or if there is a more formal request system...

A Web shop will be appearing soon, maybe this week.  Keep watching this list and opentrv.org.