[OpenTRV-interest] getting hands on some valves

Kairos kairosmedia at swissmail.org
Mon Nov 28 10:40:28 GMT 2016

At 08:26 28/11/2016, Damon wrote:
>> -- How reliable are the mechanical components.

|||That’s an interesting question: what metric had you in mind?

Well a lot depends on the mechanics. I haven't studied the docs on Github - and to be honest there is no substitute to having a physical device set up alongside a small test-jig.

I would be happy to give some beer money for a pre-loved OpenTRV - but one without boost rather than without wireless...

I have just finished installing a new boiler with zone valves here at home but am also interested in using some remote-able TRVs.

The important issues with a TRV are:

-- Accuracy of control i.e. how closely does its function align with what is requested by its controller - ("plus and minus how many degrees from requested temperature does it switch?")

-- Susceptibility to sticking - they age, things get less smooth, depending on the valve construction this may be an issue

-- Longevity of seals....

-- Battery life versus number of 'opens' and 'closes'

-- Susceptibility to scaling and flow reduction

-- General deviation from initial specifications as a function of age and number of operations (for example, an aging valve may still open, but more slowly and probably need more power <== reduction of battery life)

-- Resilience to customer abuse (over-tightening of compression joints etc).

-- Ergonomics - some TRVs look down right ugly and needlessly bulky!

When I get a physical device, I can see what ways are open to test it with a degree of data logging...

It's a great project idea - I would be glad to contribute where possible..

The thing is that if you want to achieve wide-scale usage, you will need to be able to demonstrate that this is a solid device that will keep on working as well as other mainstream brands...

Thanks

Nick