[OpenTRV-interest] Firmware Loading - Walrus ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 12:11:26 GMT 2017

Jason Pearce <jason at pearce.org.uk> wrote:

> Reading the wiki, it suggests firmware/bootloaders can be programmed using a walrus
> https://github.com/opentrv/OTWiki/wiki/REV11-Firmware-Loading-Walrus
>
> I have purchased a "USBtinyISP V4 AVR ISP Programmer" - apart from simplicity of programming the various boards, does the walrus provide any other functionality that the avr doesn't ?

I'm glad you asked that, because it prompts me to ask something I wasn't sure about.

Looking at the photos in that Wiki, it looks like there's a 6 pin ribbon cable & connector like that on the AVR programmer - so I'm assuming there's "something else" not mentioned to connect between USB (can't see anything USB on the Walrus board) and the board.

So do we need some sort of USB-<something> adapter as well as the Walrus board ?