[OpenTRV-interest] Firmware Loading - Walrus ?

Mark Hill mark at teos.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 13:55:15 GMT 2017

The Walrus board - Eagle and Gerbers: https://github.com/opentrv/Ope
nTRV-Arduino-V0p2/tree/master/Arduino/hardware/walrus

Has a microusb and a CH340G to eliminate the need for an FTDI cable for
programming. It doesn't contain an ISP for programming the bootloader, but
does accept the 6 pin connector from e.g. a USBtiny and allows a switch
between one and the other, controlled by a GPIO line. We built it for use
in our testing and programming rigs.

I'd recommend a cheap and cheerful USBTiny type device, I've had luck with
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191780957944 and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USBtinyISP-V4-AVR-ISP-Programmer-with-Reliable-Plastic-Enclosure-/330824700564

If you don't have a Walrus, there's some fiddling to do with pinouts and
cables to fit to an I2CEXT 14 pin connector as you can't just plug in a 6
pin ISP or serial FTDI connection, the pins are in the wrong places for
that.

For the I2CEXT 20 pin connector, it accepts 6 pin ISP and FTDI connections
without any further effort. Some of the pins are duplicated for that to
happen.

Regards, Mark