[OpenTRV-interest] Update: OpenTRV Limited is now Vestemi Limited

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Thu Jun 28 17:09:20 UTC 2018

On 18/05/18 15:49, Damon Hart-Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All the code in the products currently at https://myradbot.com/shop/ is
> indeed open source in the usual repos, yes.
>
> It is possible that I may be able to liberate some spares soon, though
> what takes time is assembling/checking/testing them before dispatch.  If
> you would be prepared to take pot-luck on something that I only have to
> superficially test then we may be able to come to an arrangement!

While I do a lot of things with free software and hardware, I actually
know very little about heating systems: I grew up in Australia.  I don't
think I ever saw one of these systems there.  Some homes have a dimplex
heater for emergencies (yes, only one heater in the whole house), some
people don't have any heater.

I acquired a house in Dublin, the heating system appears to be older
than me.  It is a Potterton Kingfisher 2 CF80 with a 2-wire control.
There is an ancient timer switch in the kitchen and an ancient
thermostat in an upstairs bedroom.  Given the antiquity, all this would
be replaced in an upcoming renovation but I'd like to start
experimenting with the technology now for anything I can replace easily
myself.

The plumber told me 6 of the valves are not working and the pipes are
old gun barrel and difficult to work with.  So I thought next time he
visits, he could put in one or more of the Radbots for me.

I had a look in the FAQ already and I still have some questions

Are there specific requirements for the type or size of the radiator
pipes it can be attached to?  For example, I saw this picture[1], is the
part labelled "TRV Valve Body" included with Radbot or the plumber can
install/replace that if necessary and then I put Radbot on top?

Is it only wireless or if I am rewiring the house, can I put RJ45
sockets near the rads and use PoE in future?

Are they suitable for wet areas like bathrooms?

For the spares you mention, is it likely they will have any issues that
may cause frustration for the plumber?  I don't want him to get a bad
first impression.

Is it possible to install Radbots and adjust them manually before the
central control system is installed?

You suggested in an earlier email that a bypass valve is essential.  The
plumber tells me there isn't one and it is not worth installing before
the renovation.  If I only have Radbots on some radiators and other
radiators with older valves are always left on, can I get by without
having a bypass valve?

Do I need to use the boiler controller box or can the controller
software run on any Linux device such as a Raspberry Pi, Freedom Box or
micro server with a GPIO to the boiler wires?

If you have any other suggestions about the project, it would be very
welcome.

I'd be very happy to write about what I'm doing with them and publish
pictures on my blog.  I'd also be happy to get involved in packaging the
software if it makes sense to run it on Debian or Raspbian.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/thermostatic-radiator-valves.htm