[OpenTRV-interest] Cut heating costs with Radbots on your radiators - Much More With Less

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 09:28:22 UTC 2019

Damon Hart-Davis <dhd at exnet.com> wrote:

> The Radbot does have a radio.  All comms are encrypted and each device has its own key, and without that key, although Radbot does send a data frame every 2 minutes, you can’t use it.
>
> The dongle is to connect up to (for example) the 4800 baud serial CLI.  We had to keep production costs down, so there are just pads on the board.  A dongle is the easiest way to get to them.  Thos pads are much the same as those exposed on a REV7 (TRV1) for example.

A few questions ...

Inside the battery compartment there's a 2D code to (IIRC) radbot.com/r/<serial no>. I imagine that originally did something, but now it just redirects to Vestemi's homepage. Was it supposed to do something unit specific, or just an oversight ?

Now, I assume the hardware comes apart if I remove the two screws visible from the mounting end ? I haven't tried it yet as I can't find a screwdriver that will fit ! I have screwdrivers that would fit if the securing ring wasn't fitted - but with the ring in place, it partially blocks access down the holes.

I assume that if I have a need for one where it will be shaded from room light, it wouldn't be much of a problem to remove the sensor from the board and relocate it to a remote (transparent) box ?