[OpenTRV-interest] Radbot is a winner!

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 20:35:45 UTC 2019

Robert May <rob at themayfamily.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm happy weilding a soldering iron and compiling my own code, so I'll get some valves and see what I can make up.

You need a very thin and reasonably long PZ2 (IIRC) screwdriver to get the valves open, and to put them together afterwards. I got as far as taking one apart, and haven't found the time (along with all the other jobs) to get any further. I also haven't found a screwdriver thin enough to get it back together !
When you get it apart, it's a neat little board with a row of contact pads - so ideally wants a "bed of nails" jig.

AIUI the situation is, Damon can correct me if I've got the wrong end o the stick :
Each unit comes with a different security key pre-programmed which Vestimi (ie Damon) can tell you.
The standard OpenTRV code for boiler controller and stats hub only works with one security key at a time.
So you have to open up each valve to set a new security key common across all the valves in the house.
They are working on code for BC/SH to handle multiple keys.

I'm assuming that if they have the multi-key code ready(ish) then it would work with the existing BC/SH designs.