[OpenTRV-dev] V0.2-Arduino: getting started

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu Apr 4 11:05:37 BST 2013

Apologies for the delay.

I've actually been thinking about what would make an ideal boiler / valve
control node for me. On the basis that (hopefully!) the weather won't call
for heating too much longer, and that my current tank thermostat keeps
arcing, that might be a good place to do "summer hacking" for me.

I have got round to having a look into the RFM12Pi. It's basically an
ATTINY84 with an RFM12 connected to the SPI and it bit-bashes serial data
to and from the Pi on 2 other Io pins. 3 spare pins are brought out to a 3
pin header so I guess these could be employed to drive valves. It might
also be possible to read Onewire temperature sensors on one of the spare
pins, I guess. The serial protocol is a very simple human-readable ascii
command driven affair, so I don't see a problem with extending that.

I keep wondering if a very simple node talking to a Pi, which can give me
web access to set the schedules, etc. is what I want or whether this
should be a more autonomous "boiler programmer" with "advance" buttons,
scheduler, RTC and maybe even a user interface to program it manually.

I keep think that the RFM12Pi is a bit too minimal to cope with what I
might want to throw at it. I might build something around a more powerful
AVR, containing some switching for the valves, and see where that takes
me.

I wonder if I should still connect it to a Pi, or give it an ethernet
interface?

Kevin

.

> i was thinking
. how hard would it be to add valve control on the rasPI +
> expansion board that open energy uses? it would be an perfect central unit
> and if it can control valves we would almost only need some boards that
> can sense temp
. just loose thoughts from me