[OpenTRV-dev] Boiler control

Bruno Girin EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Fri Apr 19 15:24:56 BST 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Philip Canavan
<EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:
> OpenTherm isn't open as you or I would know it, but it is the new
> 'industry standard' and is cross-vendor, so it's the most likely
> target for OpenTRV and many other things. It's also worth seeing
> whether any custom interfaces\software the vendor provides is in Java
> - there's no chance they'll claim anything but Windows support (on a
> domestic system) so Java is the best option you'll have. I went for a
> Remaha (aka Broag) Avanta which ticked all the boxes, is suitably
> efficient and supports "advanced" options like a weather compensation
> add-on. I've been very happy with it, but Other Heating Systems Are
> Available.

Thanks, very useful advice! It'd be even better if Gmail hadn't sent it
to the spam folder which it now does with every other OpenTRV email.

>     What's probably just as relevant as which boiler you get is
> how you're connecting it. I've got a discrete system with dual zone
> valves for independent HW cylinder and heating control, with a
> pressurised cylinder; others like an on-demand combi system;

I'll probably go with a pressurised cylinder as per discussions I've
had with them so far.

> and Damon (and the theorist in me) would argue for a heat store and
> an exchanger.

Damon? Argue? Surely not!?

> You could go for a diverter valve that gives you on\off and either HW
> or CH, but I've never understood why. It's worth asking your fitter
> what they're going to give you (unless you're doing a straight
> drop-in swap).

That's the point: I have the opportunity to ask for things so I intend
to make use of that ability!

Bruno