[OpenTRV-dev] 5 REV0 V0.2-Arduino boards being built

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sun Jul 21 15:07:18 BST 2013

Hi,

Bo has slaved over the BOM and I placed Maplin and RS orders yesterday and today for enough components to populate 5 of the 10 REV0 PCBs that I just received.  (There will be some late stragglers from out-of-stock parts.)

(As ever, thanks to Mike for advice on getting REV0 PCB out to iTEAD for fabrication and many other things.)

This REV0 board has one really challenging SMD component (TMP112), but should otherwise be bearable to assemble with a hand soldering iron and optional SMD reflow oven.  (The ATmega in particular is a socketed PDIP to make it easy to get our particular bootloader in.)

We plan to adjust the PCB footprint of the TMP112 to make hand soldering less horrible in REV1.

It is likely that REV1 is very close to the design that will go into a small uni-assisted trial this winter.  So no direct motor drive or enhanced occupancy, though I do hope to take advice on occupancy and prediction for current and existing hardware from James, a Bristol MSc bod, who has kindly volunteered to help out.

I am strongly considering getting one of the Maplin/Velleman £700 3D printer kits so that I can at least progress the mechanicals a little and get pretty boxes for the trial, given that Bruno is rather busy for the foreseeable future.