[OpenTRV-dev] V0.09 power consumption

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon Mar 18 14:01:58 GMT 2013

Hi,

Just as a point of reference, the current V0.09 design (on breadboard, some extra instrumentation and pins floating, etc) is drawing a little under 600uA at 3.6V--5V (unregulated), so about 5x the target energy budget to run for 1 year off 2x AA 2000mA NiMH hybrid cells.  Lots and lots of things would improve that; primarily a hardware SPI implementation I think.  That budget would have to include the local motor for an all-in-one implementation too.

I don't see it as being especially hard to reach the target consumption with a PICAXE design slightly evolved from V0.09, and I have no reason to be worried about an ATmega/Arduino solution either at this stage, assuming that it uses the same peripherals as for the putative updated PICAXE design.