[OpenTRV-dev] Feedback Mechanisms.

Mike Stirling EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sun Mar 24 11:57:14 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I haven't had time to read thoroughly, but there are a couple of points
I wanted to throw in:

- Anywhere there is more than one possible UI they MUST be in sync at
all times.  There is no technical reason why this can't happen.  If the
central controller decides it has lost comms with the TRV then both ends
of the link will know this and can make it clear to the user.  If the
TRV is falling back to local operation in this situation then the
central controller should disable remote control of that node altogether
(and flag it as an error).

- The radio protocol needs to be secure from the outset, as
feature-creep is inevitable.  With crypto/authentication you either
engineer it properly or you don't bother.  Too many proprietary sub-GHz
protocols don't even get the addressing right, e.g. there are plenty of
wireless doorbells on the market where you can select from 32 different
tunes but only 1 address!

Mike