[OpenTRV-dev] Anatomy of a TRV

Jack Kelly EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu Mar 28 09:37:41 GMT 2013

On the topic of IR / ultrasound:

Any sort of occupancy detection built into the TRV would be very
interesting for a future design iteration, IMHO.  IR / ultrasound / CO2
(*very* expensive!) / vibration detector (microphone with low pass filter)
etc.

In general, my hunch is that only the very geekiest folks will ever bother
to explicitly program an efficient room-by-room heating schedule so
anything we can do to automate the generation of a room-by-room schedule
could significantly widen the appeal of the system (conditional on the
system not frightening users: there's a real risk that people will worry
that they're being spied on).

(BTW, one of my MSc students will almost certainly be doing her summer
project on room-by-room occupancy prediction based on PIR and individual
appliance power data: not as easy as it might first appear!).