[OpenTRV-dev] Wireless protocol

Mike Stirling EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon May 13 09:35:40 BST 2013

Morning all,

Anyone want to help me come up with a name for an open home automation protocol then? OpenHA is gone. Totally arbitary Web2.0-esque suggestions accepted! Rough aims:

- Primarily aimed at sub-GHz, so narrow band modulation and relatively low data rate. No spread spectrum.
- Lightweight as possible. No ASCII strings or floating point. Definitely no IP.
- Provision for battery powered two-way nodes (WoR).
- Encryption and authentication built in at MAC layer.
- Defined application layer profiles to aid interoperability.
- Easy mapping onto existing IP based protocols (XAP, MQTT).
- Radio agnostic, within reason.

I did come across [http://sapphireos.com/ -> http://sapphireos.com/] the other day, which looks really nice, but it is 2.4 GHz mesh based and probably still too complicated for my absolute lowest cost aspirations.

IIRC most of the other suggestions that have been made so far, e.g. EnOcean, Wireless KNX, suffer in some way either from incomplete or vague specification, or a glaring lack of security.

Mike