[OpenTRV-dev] Occupancy sensing, was intro

Bo Herrmannsen EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Oct 1 05:58:24 BST 2013

hmm

i was thinking... what if we run out of io pins... what is the next step in
line of atmel chips we can but arduino on?

/bo

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
From: Damon Hart-Davis
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 2:41 PM
To: Closed list for developer discussions
Subject: [OpenTRV-dev] Occupancy sensing, was intro

Hi,

Please excuse some savage editing of subject line and below.

OpenTRV occupancy is still a lot more primitive than I'd like, but one
technique I use a fair amount (sometimes it seems like only tool in my
inadequate stats toolkit) is interquartile ranges of values observed over at
least a day or preferably 7 days.

So, for example, when background luminance is the the lowest quartile having
measured for at least a day, I deduce that people are not using the room or
at least not active.  That's reasonably robust and doesn't depend on
absolute levels.

A similar thing might work for even doppler: *relatively* little activity
may be interpretable as equivalent to none or lack of occupancy.

But the stuff you're talking about sounds good too.  Good novel sensors and
good signal processing / stats are a winning combo, I hope.