[OpenTRV-dev] Some interesting user feedback...

Bruno Girin EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Apr 2 21:57:06 BST 2014

On 2 April 2014 17:58, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> I thought I'd just share this, as it is very interesting.
>
> This is a REV2 unit with temperature knob, two LEARN buttons, and the Big
> Red Button on the front for mode.

> > > Initial UT stuff from my one-valve trial:
> > >
> > > 1) Functions perfectly. Does what the instructions say it will do.

Agree :-)

> > > 2) The unit has one control to cycle through 3 modes, which make me
> feel impatient because I have to press and wait.

I'm the same...

> > > 3) The feedback is a flashing LED, which requires me to count flashes
> to know which mode it's in. The three-flash is fast, so I'm not sure
> whether it's 2 or 3. I have to go round a couple of times to get the feel
> of it.

I have the same problem with the rev 1.

> > > 4) I've ended up not using the learn mode. Not sure why - think it's
> somehow the lack of a visual cue that it's set, but I know that's lame.

I will also admit to not using the learn mode.

> > > 5) Biggest advantage for me so far is that I can reach the controller
> now it's not on the rad behind the sofa. So just as a remote-controlled
> valve it's cool.

Or in my case being able to switch the rad on from the bed :-)

> > > 6) The room takes about 20-30 mins to gain 2-3 degrees, from chilly to
> OK. So it seems to take a bit of planning, and I'd quite like to give it a
> regular slot to be warm in, like 1800-2100. But as an ordinary user, I
> couldn't be bothered to check with the 'learn' mode would hang on to a
> setting that long.

Lucky guy! My rooms take more time than that to heat up!

> > > 7) The actuator is noisy enough to have the family asking 'What's that
> noise?' and it's seems surprisingly busy during a movie.

I agree but that's the TRV rather than the controller so when we build a
TRV unit, we'll have to take this into account.

> > > 8) Def results in a chilly room when not in use, which is the idea.

Indeed.

> > > 9) Seems like something that people who like programmable kit will get
> on with, but which could trigger the 'too much trouble' circuits in some. I
> wonder if having the mode cycle with each press (instead of waiting) and
> having a separate light for each mode would seem more intuitive? Or a
> three-way switch, adding cost.

At the risk of adding cost, I'd suggest the following interface:
- on/off button + on/off LED with "off" meaning "frost" and "on" meaning
"warm" or "boost" depending on the second button;
- boost button (if the unit it "off", set it to "on" and immediate boost;
if the unit is already "on", just boost);
- heat call LED with single flash when calling in "warm" mode, double flash
when calling in "boost" mode: the single and double flashes are easy to
distinguish, the problem starts with triple flashes;
- optionally a "learn" LED that acts as feedback for the learn buttons and
is on when the unit switches itself on automatically because of the
schedule.

This way you have immediate feedback via the different LED and you avoid
the cycle.

Thoughts?

Bruno