[OpenTRV-dev] Possible basis of OpenTRV hub?

Bruno Girin EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sat Apr 12 11:14:15 BST 2014

The basic principle is that it should be able to degrade gracefully:
- When you have a hub and it is working: full facility with complex
settings, etc;
- When you don't have a hub, your hub is not working or the TRV can't
contact it, ensure that the TRV still works and has basic controls.

I think the TRV should be able to operate fully on its own by remembering
all settings sent by the hub (if installed) and by having simple controls
for the most common settings. This way you only need a set of TRV but if
you have the hub, you can access more advanced functionality and have funky
graphs.

I would also suggest that the hub should be a data storage and control
centre with a simple REST + MQTT interface and not require a display. This
way, you can integrate it with other devices, attach any number of displays
(e.g. you could have your TV or your mobile phone act as a display). This
is actually one of my bugbears with the way smart meters have been
specified in the UK: the display also acts as the data storage unit and you
have no way to access the data through other devices.

My £0.02

Bruno