[OpenTRV-dev] tinyHAN application protocol and mapping to MQTT

Mike Stirling EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Wed Dec 10 16:04:19 GMT 2014

Yes it is something that needs to be considered.  As long as the
deserialiser also checks that it isn't reading past the end of the
packet then there is no problem.  Whether or not an overflow would
constitute an attack vector depends on where the buffer is located (e.g.
stack, heap or static).

To aid your understanding of buffer overflow attacks it's easy enough to
demonstrate one with your specific example, assuming the deserialiser
didn't implement the above check.

Let's assume that a received packet is stored in a static buffer
declared like this:

static char packet_buffer[32];
static char secret_keys[16];

It's highly likely that the linker will place the secret_keys buffer
immediately after the packet buffer in memory.

Send a crafted packet that attempts to update the device's friendly name
(which is used to derive the MQTT topic):

0x00 0xC1 0x2D "HERE_COMES_THE_SECRET_KEYS---"

[NOTE: I notice I missed the friendly name data ID from the table on the
wiki, but it should be in the system profile]

The packet is crafted to fully occupy the packet buffer (which is fine),
but the length byte if unchecked will result in the deserialiser walking
off the end and adding the 16 bytes of key data the decoded string (0x2D
= 45 = 32+16-3).  In the proposed implementation the attacker then just
needs to have subscribed to a wildcard topic /tinyhan/+/sys and to wait
for the attack packet to result in a publish to a topic of the form
/tinyhan/HERE_COMES_THE_SECRET_KEYS---<keys here>/sys.

So no, not a stupid question at all.

Mike