[OpenTRV-dev] OpenTRV at local ham club

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Jul 29 10:35:23 BST 2014

Hi Bo,

I'm actually working on something quite similar at the moment for a second
home that needs frost protection / monitoring remotely, in this case with
oil fired heating.

My plan is a raspberry pi attached to an AVR which controls the heating
system.

I'm thinking that the AVR can harvest temperature data from a couple of
OneWire sensors, run the heating and hot water schedules and control
relays that activate the heating system as required. It'll also have an
RFM on the board for later integration with OpenTRV and, if I can reverse
engineer it, the wireless oil level sensor on the oil tank.

R-Pi can host a web interface or, more likely in the first iteration,
provide a mechanism to at least SSH into it and check everything remotely.
Of course it could also do email notifications and SMS would be possible
either via an internet SMS gateway, or just hang a GSM module off it with
a cheap pay as you go SIM installed?

Does this premises have internet connectivity?

Kevin