[OpenTRV-dev] OpenTRV at local ham club

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Jul 29 11:00:04 BST 2014

Hi Bo,

> about working with OpenTRV.... if i run some strings with one wires
> sensors
> why not in this case talk to the valves direct ?

I just mentioned that as it's what I plan to do. For the essentials of
protecting the place from frost, and because it's 100 miles away, I'm
loathed to rely on an RF link for all temperature inputs. Of course, an
OpenTRV in the room would provide you with a temperature input in this
case, and it's probably all you need.

> oil level.... it can be done by attaching a lenght of tube to the bottom
> of
> the tank and route it up tot the top and mount an air pressure sensor on
> it, any valves etc there allready?

I want to avoid fitting obviously "home-made" items to the oil tank in
case this raises concern with the oil supplier. It already has a device
fitted which "pings" the level of the tank ultrasonically and transmits it
at 433 MHz to a display inside the house. I'm hoping to reverse engineer
the protocol this device uses.

Should that fail, I also have another tack for estimating oil consumption.
I'm building in a current transformer into the supply to the boiler so I
can count the hours during which the burner is fired. The burner is not
modulated, so hours of burner time should map directly to litres of oil
used.

Node red looks interesting. I will give that some serious consideration
for what I need, since web development is not exactly my forte.

Kevin