[OpenTRV-dev] [OpenTRV-interest] Storage heating, dynamic demand, and OpenTRV

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon Sep 8 11:55:53 BST 2014

Hi,

Oh I agree that it’s a crime against exergy to do it in bulk (esp given that the UK FiT scheme assumes that you’ll be spilling excess to the grid), but maybe the very controllability of electricity is being used properly here for balancing purposes.  (Burning gas for heat in bulk is still 2.5x less horrific than bulk electric resistance heating…)

I will go and burn myself for heresy in due course, feeding the energy into a suitable thermal store, natch.

PS. I’m all for heat-pump and PV combo with some resistance-heating garnish: see late on in this thread with suggestion of PV-powered ASHP to get water to 35C then lift rest of the way with controllable electric shower: http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/14185-heating-and-dhw-using-an-ashp-or-immersion-based-system-a-comparison/