[OpenTRV-dev] [OpenTRV-interest] Storage heating, dynamic demand, and OpenTRV

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon Sep 8 12:13:29 BST 2014

> Of course what we need now is to understand how efficient the conversion of Gas kWh, and electric kWh into hot water really is ?

90% would we a good initial guess for modern kit (gas condensing boiler, electric immersion), but that misses the point I care most about, which is the carbon content of each (heat) kWh, which is about 2.5x higher for electricity as the source.  And the retail price roughly matches.

Now, put a good heat-pump in there and 1kWh of electricity can produce 2–6kWh of hot water, with corresponding reduced carbon footprint per kWh of low-grade heat, eg good for washing.