[OpenTRV-dev] I2C expansion connector round 3

Adrian Godwin EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Sep 9 01:02:49 BST 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> Hmm,  I can by Vero board with cuts between adjacent holes, which is how I
> made my RPi shield.
>
> This one at Maplin I think though the pic is not very good:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tripad-board-jp52g

Fair point.

> A split arrangement is going to increase board space and make a stacking
> header more complex/expensive, isn't it?

Don't think so. Long-spill single-row headers are widely available for use
on arduino, so you could use them for easy availability. Long-spill
double-row may be a bit harder to get. I don't think it will increase board
space : it's the same number of pins, and the single-row layout is easier
to do as you don't need tracks so close together.

The main advantage of the double-row is that it can easily be used with
ribbon cable. I'm not sure if that's an issue here.

> We're going to have to decide the physical form RealSoonNow(TM), so if you
> can point me to working examples of what you propose then I'm keen to see
> them.

Something like an arduino pro mini :

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini

(perhaps without the end pads, which are FTDI compatible on that board)